- Be sure your library has a user set up for discard. This user must have the User Profile set as "DISCARD." We have found, after one library reported a degradation in response time when checking out to the discard patron, that there is a limit to the number of items checked out to that card at once that the system can handle efficiently. If you frequently run into this problem, you may need to create additional DISCARD users and notify CCS with the users' User IDs/barcodes.
- When you want to discard an item, check it out to the DISCARD user. The item will automatically be shadowed from the public catalog, though staff will be able to see it.
- Items remain checked out to the DISCARD user until the CCS staff run a pair of reports to clear out all the items that have been set to DISCARD. They are passworded reports with major implications (the items are gone forever), and so must be run only by CCS staff.
- After the Remove Discard Items report is run, you will be able to access a list of your library's items that have been discarded.
- Outstanding holds (for last system copies), unpaid bills, open orders (those with a Date Loaded of NEVER), and serial control records may cause an item to not be discarded as part of the monthly process. CCS generates a monthly list of these "undeleted items", which can be accessed via the CCS Reports webpage. These items will not be deleted from the system until any holds are canceled, any bills are deleted or paid, any open orders have a date in the Date Loaded field, and any serial control records are removed.