Inputting hand-keyed preliminary data records
- Do NOT make a duplicate Preliminary Data record. Do at least four alternate searches (ISBN 10 and 13, title, author, and title/author) before creating a Preliminary Data record.
- From the Title Maintenance Group on the Cataloging toolbar, select the Add Title wizard. Set the default properties of this wizard so that
TEMPLATEis in the Entries field. (Properties are set by clicking on the right mouse button when the mouse is hovering over the wizard.)
- Workflows will bring up a workform in the MARC Printed Monograph (Books) format. If you are working in another format, make sure the appropriate format is selected (i.e. music, serials, etc.) in the properties.
- In the Fixed Field section you will notice that Date 1 contains the current year as the default. If you need to change the date for reasons of accuracy, edit it.
- Fill in any fields that are required to distinguish your item from others that may be similar. The following fields are REQUIRED, if known and applicable:
- 020 ISBN
- (mandatory, if available)
- 022 ISSN
- (for serials)
- 028 Publisher's label number
- (for music or audiovisual materials, if known)
- 037 Stock number
- (usually only for computer files when there’s no ISBN)
- 049 OCLC Holding Symbol
- [JEDA should appear by default]
- 1xx Author
- (only if a personal or corporate author is the main entry)
- It is mandatory to use the "Validate Headings" helper to make sure the form of name is consistent with any we already have in the database. If a match is not found, enter the name as fully as your ordering source provides it. If you are using the Acquisitions Module, it will not be possible to validate headings using the Add Temporary Title helper unless you switch to the Cataloging wizards.
- 245 Title
- subfield a [main title] is mandatory (you do not need to input ‡a; the start of the field is, by default, subfield a)
- Enter the title as completely as your source provides it
- Use numerals if they are part of the title; a 246 can be added with the number spelled out, but is not mandatory
- Do not use initial articles a, an, or the as the first word
- subfield b [subtitle/continuation of title] is optional but can be helpful particularly if there may be other similar titles
- subfield h [General Material Designation (with specific medium)] is mandatory for non-print materials ; GMD should be bracketed, with specific designation in parentheses: [videorecording (DVD)]
- 250 Edition
- Required, if other than first edition.
- Large print ed. should appear in this field for all large print materials; brackets are not necessary, as most large print materials include this statement
- [Pbk. ed.] or [Mass market pbk. ed.] should be entered in this field if there is already another version of the title, especially if both records are still preliminary; if this is the only version available, no supplied ed. statement is needed
- If known, abridged or unabridged versions of audiobooks or widescreen, full screen, Spanish or audio described versions of visual media must be indicated here.
- 260 Publisher and Publishing date
- Subfield b (publisher) and subfield c (date of publication, currently provided as current year) are mandatory. No spaces should be used before or after subfields. Be sure to follow subfield b content with a comma. If the publication date is not indicated in your ordering source, assume it is the current year and place this date in subfield c. Make sure fixed field element Date 1 matches the date in subfield c.
- 300 Physical description
- Not required unless needed to distinguish versions. (Examples: 2 sound cassettes, 24 sound cassettes) This information can be provided in a 500 note instead.
- 999 PRELIMINARY DATA
- [this should appear by default; if not, add it]