| As of September 11, 2009, the rules on this page have been approved in concept by the SCRAP committee, but the exact wording is still being adjusted.|
Please use these rules. Please send any feedback to SCRAP.
Use the Validate Headings helper before saving a bibliographic record, in order to easily check, and correct if necessary, all controllable headings in the record. For those wizards in which this helper is not available, your options are to either look up each heading yourself in the Display Authority wizard, or save & close the record and then open it in the Modify Title wizard in order to use the Validate Headings helper.
If a heading is not in the local authority file, check the OCLC authority file. Use OCLC's authorized form of a heading whenever possible.
Notify the Authorities Librarian in these cases:
- If you find that our local authority record differs from the OCLC authority record, especially when it is linked to bibliographic records.
- CCS has a few intentional local variants, especially in the treatment of series. These exceptions are noted in our authority records and do not need to be reported to the Authorities librarian.
- If you find duplicate authority records.
- If you need an authority record for a local heading (e.g., Des Plaines artists) or if you need to treat a series differently from the national treatment.
- If you find authority records coded for deletion. (These have no icon at all in front of them in the heading browse list.)
- If a needed heading is not in the OCLC authority file.